What if all our efforts to improve ourselves are actually keeping us stuck, because, sometimes, self-help is just cleverly disguised self-rejection? And what if, sometimes, self-acceptance is the most helpful, most transformative thing of all? Welcome to Episode 5 of The Loveable Podcast, in which we read and discuss Week 4 of Loveable’s companion book, which is available nowhere else…
This week’s episodes includes:
- Me admitting that I woke up feeling insecure and anxious about recording the podcast episode.
- A fruitful conversation about what to do when your shame decides to visit you once again.
- The important distinction between our inward journey and our outward journeys.
- Why our culture of inspiration is really a cleverly disguised culture of self-rejection.
- The key difference between being inspired to change yourself versus being inspired to accept yourself.
- How self-acceptance ultimately leads to wiser and more peaceful change.
- The reason the first three weeks came before this week’s topic and practice.
- A challenge to quit consuming self-help for at least one week.
- A recommendation about what to replace self-help with once you’ve taken a break from it.
- How to help thoughts about your worthiness descend from your head to your heart.
- A teaser about the next episode entitled, “Letting Go of the Solution to All of Your Problems.”
I began this conversation with anxiety and ended it feeling very peaceful. I think you will feel more peaceful after it, too, and I hope you will feel a new, better kind of inspiration. You can listen to the episode below, or on iTunes.
In his debut novel, Kelly weaves a page-turning, plot-twisting tale that explores the spiritual depths of identity and relationships, amidst themes of healing, grace, faith, forgiveness, and freedom.
Connect with Kelly
Dr. Kelly Flanagan is a psychologist, author, consultant, and speaker who enjoys walking with people through the three essentials of a truly satisfying life: worthiness, belonging, and purpose. His blog writings have been featured in Reader’s Digest, The Huffington Post, The 5 Love Languages, and the TODAY Show. Kelly is the author of Loveable and True Companions.