“Relationships can grow stale and stuck. Perhaps that’s just the way life goes and the way love ages. But maybe, just maybe, we can fall into love again by learning how to pay attention again—by giving up all of our judgment and assessment and critique and meeting our people in the field of awareness, instead of upon the field of battle.”
In Episode 33 of The Loveable Podcast, we seek love again by choosing to be in school again. Let’s become students of the people we love, curious, fully attentive, ready to learn their every nuance, and cherishing who they are rather than what we would make them into…
Here are just a few of the takeaways from this week’s episode:
- When it comes to growth and transformation, small things make the difference, and the difference is usually small. Be patient. Keep going.
- A true affirmation of someone else can only overflow from our own sense of worthiness.
- Every good lesson must be learned over and over (and over) again.
- Even when we don’t feel loveable, it is important to act as if we are loveable.
- Certainty may be the greatest barrier to curiosity.
- We cannot force anyone to become curious about us; we can only cultivate curiosity about them, and invite them to do the same.
- We’re wired to notice what is wrong with our people, but with careful attention and curiosity, we will become aware of what is beautiful about them, too.
- One of the best ways to practice curiosity is to clarify the meaning of the words our people use.
You can listen below or on iTunes!
In his debut novel, Kelly weaves a page-turning, plot-twisting tale that explores the spiritual depths of identity and relationships, amidst themes of healing, grace, faith, forgiveness, and freedom.
Connect with Kelly
Dr. Kelly Flanagan is a psychologist, author, consultant, and speaker who enjoys walking with people through the three essentials of a truly satisfying life: worthiness, belonging, and purpose. His blog writings have been featured in Reader’s Digest, The Huffington Post, The 5 Love Languages, and the TODAY Show. Kelly is the author of Loveable and True Companions.