“When our egos lose, our hearts win.”
In Episode 28 of The Loveable Podcast, we dive deep into the topic of empathy, including how essential it is for true belonging, and the five barriers to cultivating it and communicating it. It’s time to exchange protection for connection. It’s time to quit living from your ego and to start loving from your heart…
Here are just a few of the takeaways from this week’s episode:
- In places of true belonging, you do not necessarily agree with the opinions of others, but you do honor the personhood of others.
- In order to cultivate true belonging, you must replace certainty with curiosity, because curiosity drives out all judgment.
- Belonging is cultivated during the hard and messy times, and it is ultimately felt when that hard labor eventually produces fruit.
- Empathy is a gift to the other, and the gift we receive in return is a growing sense of belonging.
- Hurry is the enemy of empathy.
- When empathy is used for protection rather than connection, it is called codependency.
- Empathy creates space for pain to exist, without pressure to immediately fix it.
You can listen below or on iTunes!
In his debut novel, Kelly weaves a page-turning, plot-twisting tale that explores the spiritual depths of identity and relationships, amidst themes of healing, grace, faith, forgiveness, and freedom.
Connect with Kelly
Dr. Kelly Flanagan is a psychologist, author, consultant, and speaker who enjoys walking with people through the three essentials of a truly satisfying life: worthiness, belonging, and purpose. His blog writings have been featured in Reader’s Digest, The Huffington Post, The 5 Love Languages, and the TODAY Show. Kelly is the author of Loveable and True Companions.