“Maybe growing up and growing healthy is as simple as discerning which voices to allow in, and learning how to keep the rest of the voices out.”
In last week’s episode, we began to focus on the voice of shame all of us hear on the inside of us. Now, in this twelfth episode of The Loveable Podcast, we talk about what to do when we hear that voice on the outside of us, too, coming from the people around us.
This week’s episode includes:
- Several personal examples of small and ordinary but powerful ways to redeem the painful and frustrating parts of our story.
- A conversation about how to handle shame messages when they come from family and friends, especially during the holiday season.
- How to set assertive boundaries from a sense of worthiness, rather than aggressive boundaries from a sense of defensiveness.
- What it looks like to digest criticism through the filter of our own worthiness.
- Why it is important to limit the shame you expose yourself to from others while you work to heal the shame already inside of you.
- Why shame keeps us small and how our lives become bolder when we quit listening to it.
- Three visualization exercises that will help you begin to develop healthy emotional boundaries.
- A teaser about the next episode entitled, “The Voice of Grace.”
Change happens incrementally, and the changes discussed in this episode will add up to big growth and transformation over time. You can listen below or on iTunes.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
In his debut novel, Kelly weaves a page-turning, plot-twisting tale that explores the spiritual depths of identity and relationships, amidst themes of healing, grace, faith, forgiveness, and freedom.
Connect with Kelly
Dr. Kelly Flanagan is a psychologist, author, consultant, and speaker who enjoys walking with people through the three essentials of a truly satisfying life: worthiness, belonging, and purpose. His blog writings have been featured in Reader’s Digest, The Huffington Post, The 5 Love Languages, and the TODAY Show. Kelly is the author of Loveable and True Companions.