The final months of 2022 were so disorienting, it took me a few weeks to get my bearings. I’m ready now to tell you about where I am and where I’m going.
Let’s start at the end and then work our way backward:
In 2023, I’ll be blogging on Substack instead of my website and, instead of random blog posts, the posts will be a way of writing my next non-fiction book in public, with your editorial feedback and influence. It’s called The Inner Gathering: A Guided Encounter with Your Original Self and Its Three Protectors.
If you are an email subscriber, there is nothing extra you have to do to follow along. I’ve already granted you a free subscription to my Substack, so you will receive all the new book posts directly in your inbox—just like the old days when I first started blogging—with no need to click over to the website, unless you want to comment on the post. If you do not subscribe to my emails, you can head on over to my Substack right now and sign up.
A couple more quick notes
- If you visit Substack, you will see the option to upgrade to a paid subscription. If you’re curious about what that includes, you can read more about it on the About page.
- If you’d like to find out more about why I’m writing this book on Substack, you can check out my first post, What is The Inner Gathering?
- And if you’d like to find out more about the book itself by flipping it over and reading what’s on the back cover—the synopsis and an (imagined) endorsement from Oprah (ha!)—you can jump right to my second post, The Back Cover.
Okay, now let’s go backward
The fourth quarter of 2022 was a whirlwind. Here’s what was happening:
- I closed my therapy practice and took another step toward becoming a full-time writer.
- I published my first novel, The Unhiding of Elijah Campbell.
- I submitted a complete draft of my second novel, The Keeper of Crimes, to my publisher.
- I started working on my third novel, The Sadness Isn’t Badness Club, which is not under contract anywhere, but is insisting on being written anyway.
- I realized I have another non-fiction book inside of me, itching to get out.
- I asked myself how I might write it differently, in public, and with reader feedback.
- I was referred by smart people to Substack, which is specifically designed for such a purpose. I’m loving the writing experience there, and I can’t wait for you to join me in it.
That’s the update. If you’re subscribed to my Substack, the first installment of the Prologue to The Inner Gathering will be arriving in your inbox in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to the journey with you!
In his debut novel, Kelly weaves a page-turning, plot-twisting tale that explores the spiritual depths of identity and relationships, amidst themes of healing, grace, faith, forgiveness, and freedom.
Connect with Kelly
Dr. Kelly Flanagan is a psychologist, author, consultant, and speaker who enjoys walking with people through the three essentials of a truly satisfying life: worthiness, belonging, and purpose. His blog writings have been featured in Reader’s Digest, The Huffington Post, The 5 Love Languages, and the TODAY Show. Kelly is the author of Loveable and True Companions.