“Your true self folded in upon itself never ceases to be your truest you. Your soul is bigger and more beautiful and more mysterious than you can possible imagine. It has been folded in upon itself by people and by experience and by life. But it need not remain that way.”
One of the most common questions I receive as a therapist is, how will I know if I’m getting better? This is an important question to answer because the answer gives us direction, it gives us hope, and eventually it gives us something to celebrate. That’s the question we answer in Episode 53 of The Loveable Podcast…
Here are just a few of the takeaways from this week’s episode:
- Healing and wholing are the same thing.
- The greatest problem in our hearts is not disease; it is disunity.
- Your true self is a like a piece of paper folded in on itself by life and by shame; the good news is, it can be unfolded.
- Grace does not delight in us despite who we are, but because of who we are.
- A sign that your true self is healing and expanding is that your pain becomes a part of what makes you unique, not a part of what makes you bad.
- A purpose-driven life is one rooted in the ego and fueled by ambition; a purpose-centered life is one rooted in the soul and fueled by passion.
- You probably don’t belong to people who want you to be smaller than you actually are.
- You’re not here to be great; you’re here to be yourself.
- Experiencing everyone else as worthy is the surest sign that you’ve truly embraced your own worthiness.
You can listen below or on iTunes!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
In his debut novel, Kelly weaves a page-turning, plot-twisting tale that explores the spiritual depths of identity and relationships, amidst themes of healing, grace, faith, forgiveness, and freedom.
Connect with Kelly
Dr. Kelly Flanagan is a psychologist, author, consultant, and speaker who enjoys walking with people through the three essentials of a truly satisfying life: worthiness, belonging, and purpose. His blog writings have been featured in Reader’s Digest, The Huffington Post, The 5 Love Languages, and the TODAY Show. Kelly is the author of Loveable and True Companions.