“We have a list of things we think must be accomplished inside of us before we can start taking risks outside of us. We think, Once I’m more confident, I’ll start dating. Once I’m more patient, I’ll have children. Once I’m wise enough, I’ll start a blog. Once my insides look as orderly as everyone else looks on the outside, I’ll follow my heart and my passion and start doing the things I want to do in the world. To live the things we love, we have to live them with our hearts feeling a little unfinished.”
In Episode 40 of The Loveable Podcast, we tackle one of the most common kinds of internal resistance to practicing our passions: the feeling that we are not ready yet, that we have to somehow grow more, be more transformed, feel more like we’ve arrived. By the end of this conversation, you’ll be wanting to get started sooner rather than later on the living of your passions…
Here are just a few of the takeaways from this week’s episode:
- Passion must always be balanced by a paycheck, but too often it gets eclipsed by our pursuit of a paycheck.
- Shame operates on the assumption of scarcity; grace operates on the assumption of abundance. Which partner will you choose to dance with?
- As our clarity about our passions increases, so will our internal resistance to them.
- Clarity about our passions often comes in a quiet moment of surprise.
- The secret to practicing your passions is the same as the secret to improv comedy: in the words of Stephen Colbert, you have to learn to love the bomb.
- You’ll never be “finished” enough to practice your passions without bombing at least a little, so you may as well start now.
- Happiness comes from success; resilience (and thus joy) comes from failing, and then continuing.
- Most of us have more than one true passion.
- Creativity that is perfect doesn’t exist; creativity that is shared is called art.
You can listen below or on iTunes!
[smart_track_player url=”https://media.blubrry.com/the_loveable_podcast/content.blubrry.com/the_loveable_podcast/Loveable040.mp3″ title=”Week 39: The Blessing of Being Unfinished” social_linkedin=”true” social_email=”true” tweet_text=”Don’t miss Episode 40 of THE LOVEABLE PODCAST!” hashtag=”LoveableTheBook” twitter_username=”DrKellyFlanagan” ]
Connect with Kelly
Dr. Kelly Flanagan is a psychologist, author, consultant, and speaker who enjoys walking with people through the three essentials of a truly satisfying life: worthiness, belonging, and purpose. His blog writings have been featured in Reader’s Digest, The Huffington Post, The 5 Love Languages, and the TODAY Show. Kelly is the author of Loveable, and his next book, True Companions, will be published in 2021.