I’m a big believer in holiday traditions.
From lighting fires in the fireplace, to watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, to decorating the tree while watching It’s a Wonderful Life, I ritualize everything. This year, we watched A Christmas Story on Christmas Day, and I suggested making it a tradition. My wife and kids all rolled their eyes. So we have a new tradition. I believe traditions are important, because rituals anchor us in an increasingly untethered world.
And one of my favorite annual rituals is the year end top ten lists that emerge between Christmas and New Year. This ritual is a way to integrate everything that has gone before. It’s a way to honor the year and then let it go, so we can welcome in a new year.
So, for the fifth year in a row here at UnTangled, here are the Top Ten UnTangled (and Artisan) posts of the year (according to Facebook shares), the best of the rest (according to me), and a list of the ten books I enjoyed most in the past year. I hope you enjoy, too. But it’s okay if you want to roll your eyes…
Top Ten Posts (according to Facebook):
- A Daddy’s Letter to His Little Girl (About How Fast She’s Walking Away)
- An Open Letter from a Therapist to His Clients
- I Can’t Believe Anyone Goes to Therapy (Says the Therapist)
- A Father’s Letter to His Little Ones (In the Wee Hours of the Election)
- Why Healing Our Hearts Might Be Simpler Than We Think
- How to Talk with Family About Politics This Holiday Season
- A Post About Marriage and What We’ve All Longed for Since the Crib
- The Simple (But Not Easy) Choice That Will Define All of Us
- Don’t Try to Make Your Life Better (Make It Beautiful-er)
- The Life Changing Difference Between Seeing Beauty and Seeing Beautifully
The Best of the Rest (according to Kelly):
- The Kindness Challenge
- This Could Be the Difference Between a Life of Suffering and Joy
- The Secret to Becoming Who You’ve Always Wanted to Be
- The Antidote to All the Crap in Your Facebook Feed
- What Will People Think of the New Me? (A Post About Courage)
- The Truth (and the Surprisingly Good News) About Who We Really Marry
- The Subliminal Sexism Both Men and Women Are Still Listening To
- The 71 Most Effective Ways to Avoid Feeling What You’re Feeling
- It’s All the Rage: How Outrage Has Become a Virtue
- This is How Kids Will React When Their Electronics Are Taken Away
Kelly’s Favorite Reads of 2016:
- The Alphabet of Grace—Frederick Buechner
- Anam Cara—John O’Donohue
- Upstream—Mary Oliver
- Small Victories—Anne LaMott
- All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten—Robert Fulghum
- Very Married—Katherine Willis Pershey
- Nobody Wants to Read Your S**t—Stephen Pressfield
- The Broken Way—Ann Voskamp
- Lila—Marilynne Robinson
- City of Mirrors—Justin Cronin
You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Pre-Order LOVEABLE Now! You are enough. You are not alone. And you matter. These are the three fundamental truths of your existence. The problem is there is a voice inside each of us relentlessly calling them into question. And yet the answer to that voice can be found within each of us, as well. Click here to find out more about my new book—Loveable: Embracing What Is Truest About You, So You Can Truly Embrace Your Life.