Here we are again. The last Wednesday of the year. The last UnTangled post of 2015. And, as has become tradition here at UnTangled, the year-end top-ten lists.
It’s been a quieter year around the blog. No appearances on the TODAY Show. No viral marriage post. No documentary filmings. This particular lap around the sun has been much more ordinary here at UnTangled. And it’s tempting, when things are quiet and the attention goes away, to wonder if you’re doing something wrong. So, this orbit through the solar system has been one continuous opportunity to call B.S. on that way of thinking.
To remember, when the attention goes away, our worthiness doesn’t.
Because it is eternal and unchanging.
To remember, working harder is a good thing, but a limited thing.
But loving harder has no limits.
To remember, life isn’t about chasing the extraordinary, but resting into the ordinary.
And finding magic there.
Most of my blog posts this year arose from that growing awareness. I’ve listed here the ten most popular posts (ranked by number of Facebook shares), and then, according to me, the best of the rest (that is, the ten I most enjoyed writing). And I’ve added a new list this year: the ten books I enjoyed reading most this year.
Thank you, each of you, for listening with me, to the voice inside of me that I translate into writing and for choosing to seek out that voice within you. I’m looking forward to spending 2016 with you. Even if it’s completely ordinary.
Especially if it’s completely ordinary.
The Top 10 UnTangled Posts of 2015:
- Karma Envelopes
- The Beauty of Being a Quitter
- The Only Real Secret to a Healthy Marriage
- The Last Marriage Post You’ll Ever Need to Read
- This Is How Christmas (and Life) Should Be More Like Halloween
- The Point of Life Isn’t to Be More Happy (It’s to Be More You)
- An Open Letter to Millenials About the Insanity of Marriage
- Why I Want My Kids to Be in Pain
- The Secret About Healing Nobody Wants to Hear (But Everybody Needs to Hear)
- How to Know Who Loves You Best
The Best of the Rest (According to Me!):
- Home is Where the Grace Is
- A Father’s Bucket List
- Dear Parents, Cut Yourself Some Slack
- What’s the Difference Between the Good Life and the Redemptive Life?
- Why Therapists Are Clueless
- Just Be a Person
- Dear Dad, You’re Doing It All Wrong (A Letter to Myself)
- Why We Should All Just Give Up
- Don’t Try to Be More Extraordinary, Just Try to Be More Human
- The 5-Minute New Year’s Resolution That Will Make All Things New
My Favorite Books of 2015
- Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion—Gregory Boyle
- Traveling Mercies—Anne Lamott
- Walden—Henry David Thoreau
- Carry On, Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life—Glennon Doyle Melton
- Scary Close: Dropping the Act and Finding True Intimacy—Donald Miller
- The Inner Voice of Love—Henri M. Nouwen
- The Little Prince—Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom—John O’Donohue
- Rising Strong: The Reckoning. The Rumble. The Revolution—Brene Brown
- Your True Home—Thich Nhat Hanh
Question: What were your favorite books, articles, or blog posts this year? Feel free to share them here so the rest of us can enjoy them! You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Next Post: 5 Life Lessons from Four Years of Blogging
Free eBook: My eBook, The Marriage Manifesto: Turning Your World Upside Down, is available free to new blog subscribers. If you are not yet a subscriber, you can click here to subscribe, and your confirmation e-mail will include a link to download the eBook. Or, the book is also now available for Kindle and Nook.